Disaster Management Discussion Board Assignment
This week, explain the various responsibilities and services of FEMA when a disaster occurs in the United States. Do some research on past disasters, and describe how FEMA supported the community and disaster efforts. Address 2-3 of the following.
How did FEMA help people prepare for the disaster?
What services did FEMA provide to the community?
Who else participated in the disaster relief efforts?
How much monetary damage was caused by the disaster? Or, how much did FEMA spend in relief?
What was public perception of FEMA and the response they provided?
Provide links to your sources for others to reference.
Support your answer with evidence from the disasters that you researched.
2. Week 2 Discussion Forum
Watch the videos and answer the questions that follow.
2. https://www.youtube.com/embed/e7ho6z32yyo?rel=0 Earthquakes (Video 2:56)
3. https://www.youtube.com/embed/dJBS94GVyuo?rel=0 Tsunamis (Video 3:28)
4. https://www.youtube.com/embed/5hghT1W33cY?rel=0 Wildfires (Video 3:12)
Choose one of the natural disasters represented in the videos above and answer the following:
What are some of the nursing implications of this disaster?
What diseases do you need be concerned about and how would you protect yourself and others? Be specific.
Support your answer with evidence from scholarly sources.
3. Week 3 Discussion Forum
For this week’s discussion, you are asked to research a bioterrorist incident. Begin by reviewing the Media Focus video on bioterrorism in Week 3 of the Content and Activities, then explore the Internet.
Give an example and details from national/international news of a bioterrorist attack.
Address all of the following in your post:
· What was the classification of biological agent used in the attack?
· Discuss the implications of the biological agent.
· Discuss the therapy for the biological agent.
· What are the decontamination procedures for the biological agent used in the attack?
· Define the appropriate level of PPE required for this type of biological agent?
· In your post, provide the name of the incident you have chosen, and support your answers with evidence/examples. Please provide a working link and a citation for your source(s).
Support your answer with evidence from scholarly sources. Disaster Management Discussion Board Assignment
4. Week 4 Discussion Forum
For this week’s discussion, we will be looking at local or national response protocols that were initiated during a critical incident, and you will choose your topic!
Search reputable local and national media for a man-made disaster to discuss.
Search for critical instances such as: hostage situations, mass shootings, multiple-vehicle or mass transit accidents with multiple critical injuries, and disease outbreaks.
In your initial post, describe the incident and address the following:
· Determine the incident type and explain your reasoning.
· What resources were deployed for this incident?
· What protocols were implemented successfully, and which were unsuccessful?
· Discuss way to improve the response to this type of incident in the future.
Support your answer with evidence. Please provide a working link to your story source.
5. Week 5 Discussion Forum
We have already discussed weather related natural disasters and bioterrorism, and now we will focus on other types of disasters. For this week’s discussion, you are asked to research a technological or human induced disaster.
(This not the same as in Weeks 3 and 4 where you might have discussed hostage situations, mass shootings, multiple-vehicle or mass transit accidents with multiple critical injuries, bioterrorism, and disease outbreaks.) Here you want to look at situations such as radiological, nuclear accidents, technological disasters (electromagnetic pulse), and hazardous material spills.
In your post, provide the name of the incident you have chosen, and support your answers with evidence/examples. Please provide a working link and a citation for your source(s).
Select 2 of the items below to discuss:
· At what point does a technological or man-made event become labeled a disaster?
· Name and explain the impact categories associated with your disaster.
· How well do you think the United States is prepared for a disaster like the one you selected?
· Discuss the factors that can influence the effects a disaster may have on a community or region.
· What nursing interventions would be a priority for these victims?
· What community resources should be provided to the victims for follow up needs?
· Support your answer with evidence from scholarly sources.
6. Week 6 Discussion Forum
This week, read the journal article “Challenges and Resources for Participating in a Hurricane Sandy Hospital Evacuation” and complete the activity below.
After completing the activity, discuss your role as a nurse in disaster preparedness and response. Describe your current patient population and discuss the challenges you might face in carrying out your responsibilities in a disaster.
How could you gain more hands-on training to supplement your academic study of disaster management? How could you feel more prepared? Discuss different training options that you could participate in (e.g., CERT training).
Support your answer with evidence from scholarly sources.
7. Week 7 Discussion Forum
This week you will put together your 72-hour disaster home “go bag” and evaluate your preparedness.
Here are the steps for your initial post:
1. Use the lists available at the Ready.gov website, FEMA, or the Red Cross website to gather items for your 72-hour home go bag. Add additional items that you think will be useful and essential for your family. (You are not required to purchase items, but you may if you choose.)
2. Post a picture of all of the items you have gathered for your go bag. For the sake of personal and family privacy, keep personal/private items out of the photograph; you may list them (e.g., prescription medications).
You must take and submit a picture of your own items! You may not post a picture from the internet or any other source.
· Along with your photo, include the following information:
· A discussion of the items in your home go bag – what is present and what is missing.
· A brief explanation of the demographic considerations and potential disaster hazards in your area and why you included certain items.
· Your family, pets, and living situation considerations and why you included certain items.
· Are you prepared to help others in your community in the event of a disaster?
· Support your answers with evidence from scholarly sources.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more