Merging Facilities[WLO: 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapters 15, 16, and 17 from the course text New leadership for Todayâ€™s Health Care Professionals:
Merging Facilities[WLO: 3] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read Chapters 15, 16, and 17 from the course text New leadership for Today’s Health Care Professionals: Concepts and Cases, and Chapter 28 from the course text Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice.
Happyville Hospital and Sunnyville Hospital are located across the street from each other, and the respective hospital boards have voted to merge the facilities into the Limestone Health Care System. You have been promoted to department manager of the combined Health Information Management (HIM) Department. Your first task is to assess the current staffing levels and propose a new organizational structure. Your recommendation must be developed based upon the data and in a format appropriate for presentation to hospital administration. Based upon the following information, assess the current productivity reports of both HIM departments and prepare a department budget. Consider this a professional business document. Review the Writing Center’s resource Writing in Business Links to an external site.for more information.
For your final project,
- Summarize the following information, in two to three sentences, in the form of an executive summary:
- the central point of the analysis
- the purpose of the analysis
- the recommended actions
- the benefits or consequences of the recommendations
- Consider that the reader of the executive summary needs to know all the important information in the main document.
- Be sure to format this portion of this paper according to the Writing Center’s Writing an Executive Summary.Links to an external site.
- This section should be completed last but come first in your paper.
- Assess the current staffing levels.
- Propose a new organizational structure.
- Your recommendation must be developed based upon the data and in a format appropriate for presentation to hospital administration.
- Propose salary and benefits budget for the new department based upon your organizational chart using the Merging Facilities Final Project Budget and Staffing Tables Download Merging Facilities Final Project Budget and Staffing Tablesworksheet (tab 1).
- Analyze the current productivity of both HIM departments, in a minimum of 3 pages, using the Merging Facilities Final Project Budget and Staffing Tables worksheet (tab 2).
- Illustrate a full-time equivalent (FTE) comparison on one graphic chart.
- Compare each department’s productivity standards compared to actual averages on one chart.
- Compare the productivity between both departments on one chart.
- Include in each graphic chart, at a minimum:
- X and Y axis labels
- Appropriate graph selection
- Be sure to format the charts in APA Style, according to the Writing Center’s resource Tables, Images & Appendices Links to an external site..
- Important Note: Productivity standards are based upon total volume and not by type of health record on the Department Budget tab 2.
- Prepare a department budget using the Merging Facilities Final Project Budget and Staffing Tables worksheet (tab 2).
- Identify a minimum of three areas of concern or risks (current or future) that need to be addressed now before they become problematic.
- Develop an action plan for each area of concern.
- Be very specific in your recommendations.
Upload your Project to Folio
It is recommended that you upload your completed project to Folio. For information on how to set-up and use your Folio account, check out the Folio webpage in the Student Support Center.
If you require the use of a screen reader or keyboard to use Excel, you can review the following resources:
- Use a Screen Reader to Create a Chart and Select a Chart in ExcelLinks to an external site.
- Use a Screen Reader to Add a Title, Data Labels, and a Legend to a Chart in ExcelLinks to an external site.
- Create a Chart From Start to FinishLinks to an external site.
- There are several other tutorials linked on this webpage that provide information on how to create charts.
The Merging Facilities Project
- Must be 10 to 15 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA Style Links to an external site.as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting for Microsoft Word Links to an external site.resource.
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of project in bold font
- Space should appear between the title and the rest of the information on the title page.
- Student’s name
- Name of institution (The University of Arizona Global Campus)
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Due date
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice Links to an external site.resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions Links to an external site.and Writing a Thesis Statement Links to an external site., refer to the Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least three scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources Links to an external site.table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source.
- To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view Quick and Easy Library Research Links to an external site.tutorial, which introduces the University of Arizona Global Campus Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper Links to an external site.guide.
Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List Links to an external site.resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric Links to an external site.for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.